January 17, 2017
Dear Hawthorn Parents,
Happy New Year! I hope you enjoyed downtime with your families and that everyone is getting back into their school routines. A special thank you to the families who came in for parent/guardian meeting just before and after winter break. We appreciate the time you made to meet with us.
With a new year and a new semester ahead of us, we encourage everyone to join us in supporting your daughter's academic focus in the following ways:
- Check her planner for due dates and deadlines. After looking at report cards, we noticed that some students aren't keeping up with turning work in on time which leads to lack of preparedness for assessments and projects. Let's work together to avoid the last minute push to submit missing work. If your daughter lost her school-issued planner, she can buy a new one from us for $5 or you can purchase her a different one on your own.
- Check her grades online together. All our students should know how to access their grades through Infinite Campus -- which is accessible on smart phones as well. If you have not yet activated your own Infinite Campus account, please contact the main office so we can provide you with your login credentials.
- Set aside time for daily independent reading. One of the best ways to improve our girls' reading level is to "get miles on the page," meaning the more they read the more they're able to build their vocabulary and be exposed to different styles of writing. These skill areas will help our girls reach the next reading level. We recommend 20-30 minutes of independent reading each night.
Lastly, our private screening of "Hidden Figures" at the St. Louis Galleria has been rescheduled for this Friday, January 20, 2017. All permission forms must be turned into Ms. Hercules by Wednesday 1/18 by 4 p.m. so we can accurately plan for supervision and transportation. Buses leave at 8:45 a.m. and will return by 12:30 p.m. Lunch will be provided at Hawthorn. Students should come in school uniform and do not need money for the concession stands.
Thanks again for all your support.
We Are Hawthorn,
Dr. Robyn Wiens
After school programs and tutoring begins Tuesday January 17th. Students will be notified by Friday of their after school activity(s).
Tutoring with our staff also begins this week. Teachers will sign-up students daily. Only students needing teacher assistance will be allowed to stay.
Any student who is not staying for tutoring or an after school activity must be picked up before 4pm otherwise she will be walked to the Wohl Center. Families utilizing the Wohl Center must submit an application.
New this semester, the Wohl Center is requiring all students who get picked up from the community center to be registered (at no cost) for one of their afternoon activities even if they do not stay the whole time. All other students must be picked up no later than 6:30 p.m. unless their assigned program runs later than that. Families should contact the Wohl Center directly with questions at 314-367-2292.
Vision Van Rescheduled - March 13, 2017
Vision van services have been rescheduled for Monday, March 13th. If you would like a referral to a different vision service in the meantime, please contact Ms. Lawrence at email@example.com.
A Team: 1/22 @ John Burroughs 3 p.m. against John Burroughs Louis 8th Grade
B Team: 1/29 @ Notre Dame High School 5 p.m. against Seckman Claxton 6th Grade
Summer Opportunities Fair - Open to Public at MICDS, Jan. 28 10 am to 3 pm
The Summer Opportunities Fair is a great way to connect with more than 150 summer camp programs and find the program that will be the best fit for your child. The event is free and open to the public. Read more about the Summer Opportunities Fair here.
- Friday, 1/20/17 School Field Trip for "Hidden Figures"
- Wednesday, 1/25/17 6th Grade Field Trip to St. Louis Art Museum
- Friday, 1/27/17 Early Release Day - dismissal at 12:24; School Spelling Bee
- Monday, 2/13/17 Hawthorn Night at the Magic House
- Thursday, 2/16/17 8th Grade PBL Health Fair
- Friday, 2/17/17 Early Release Day - dismissal at 12:24; 6th Grade PBL Presentations
- Monday, 2/20:17 NO SCHOOL: President's Day
- Thursday, 2/23 Parent Teacher Conferences after school
- Friday, 2/24 Parent Teacher Conferences; NO SCHOOL
- Friday, 3/3 Hawthorn Family Fun Night
For more information about Hawthorn Leadership School for Girls, please visit www.hawthornschool.org